The envelope

Greetings!

"Do I look like a beggar to you?" bellowed the Sir.

The bewildered boy was at a loss of words. He started trembling and I thought he may fall down.

"No... Sir..." He managed to mutter while clutching the tuition fee money in his hand.

The Sir had an imposing personality and commanding voice. Getting a seat at his tuition was considered to be a one way ticket to get into the "meritorious students club". He used to nudge, cajole, incite and drive students towards fending off and getting victory over those nightmarish adversaries of every middle school child. The deadly trio of Audacious Algebra, Gigantic Geometry and Sneaky Science.

It was the first day of this boy in this prestigious tuition class. (And mine too).

He was facing the wrath of Sir as he went to pay the fee with currency notes in his hand.

The boy looked at the ground as if he desperately wished the earth to swallow him. He felt the glowering gaze of Sir in front and the snickering eyes of other students on back of his head.

After a few seconds (which must have felt like eternity to this boy), Sir said, "In my tuition, the fees have to be put in an envelope. Your name and class, month and amount should be written in clean handwriting. Only then you are allowed to give fees to me properly in such envelope. You can make an envelope of a loose page even... just like this." Sir made a beautiful envelope from one paper in a jiffy and handed over the envelope to the relieved boy. I thought I saw a hint of smirk on Sir's face.


"Sir seems to have a short circuit!" I murmured in the ear of another boy sitting next to me, expecting to gossip about the invincible teacher.

"No... you are completely wrong... you don't get it!"  the boy's eyes had welled up as he said this.

I was really shocked. This was not the reaction I expected. I just dumbly kept looking at him..

Wiping his initial tears, the boy whispered on ... "I don't have a father and after paying my school fees we have only enough to scrape through the day. When I came to meet Sir, he told me that he understood I cannot pay his tuition fees and he doesn't expect me to pay it at all. But he said that, that doesn't mean I should lose my dignity in front of everyone in the tuition.  He told me to just submit an empty envelope every month with my details... in front of everyone...  ..." He could not go on and let his tears flow silently turning towards the wall...

At that moment I wished that I too had a wall to turn towards...


Sincerely Mine!
Anand Kulkarni 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I enjoy what you guys are up too. Such clever work and coverage!

Keep up the amazing works guys I've included you guys
to our blogroll. I could not resist commenting.
Well written! I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet visitors, its really really
fastidious article on building up new blog.
http://cspan.org/
Anonymous said…
This reminds saint Kabeerdasji' famous doha "गुरू कुम्हार, कुंभ शिष्य है, गड गड गाडे खोट। अंदर हात सहार देत, बाहर मारे चोंट". Really, a society needs such a "हडाचे" गुरू ��.Very inspiring story, indeed! Will definitly try our level best to help such needy one, in short, truly help ourselves! Thanks!
Anonymous said…
We stumbled over here different page and thought I should check things out.
I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking at your web page again.
Anonymous said…
I blog quite often and I really thank you for your content.
Your article has truly peaked my interest.
I will book mark your website and keep checking for new details about once per week.
I subscribed to your Feed too.
Anonymous said…
Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe that this
web site needs much more attention. I'll probably be returning to
see more, thanks for the information!
Anonymous said…
Just desire to say your article is as amazing.
The clarity to your put up is just great and that i can think you are knowledgeable on this subject.

Well with your permission let me to take hold
of your feed to stay up to date with imminent post.
Thank you a million and please continue the gratifying work.
Anonymous said…
Greetings! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and
say I really enjoy reading your articles. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?
Appreciate it!
Anonymous said…
Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this post i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible piece of writing.
Anonymous said…
Great info. Lucky me I discovered your blog by chance (stumbleupon).

I've bookmarked it for later!
Anonymous said…
Magnificent items from you, man. I have be aware
your stuff prior to and you're just extremely excellent.
I actually like what you've obtained right here, certainly like what you're stating and
the best way during which you say it. You are making it entertaining
and you still care for to keep it wise. I can't
wait to read far more from you. That is really a terrific website.
Anonymous said…
Hey there I am so excited I found your web site, I really found you
by mistake, while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say
thank you for a marvelous post and a all round exciting blog
(I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to
go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
read a lot more, Please do keep up the superb jo.
Anonymous said…
Good info. Lucky me I came across your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
I've saved as a favorite for later!
Anonymous said…
Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources
back to your webpage? My website is in the very same area of interest as yours
and my users would genuinely benefit from some of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this okay with you. Many thanks!
Anonymous said…
whoah this blog is fantastic i love reading your posts.
Stay up the good work! You recognize, lots of
people are searching round for this information, you can help them greatly.
Anonymous said…
Right here is the right blog for everyone who hopes to find out about this topic.
You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I
really will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject that has been written about for years.
Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!
Anonymous said…
It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd
certainly donate to this fantastic blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to brand new updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group.
Chat soon!
Anonymous said…
Very good article! We will be linking to this great article on our website.
Keep up the good writing.
Anonymous said…
First of all I would like to say superb blog!
I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind.
I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
I've had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting
my thoughts out. I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the
first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions
or tips? Appreciate it!
Anonymous said…
I love it when folks come together and share thoughts. Great
blog, keep it up!
Anonymous said…
Hi it's me, I am also visiting this web site regularly, this website is in fact nice and
the users are in fact sharing nice thoughts.
Nidhi Gupta said…
Very nicely expressed. A teacher is influencer in a kid's life exactly the way your teacher has done. You are truly blessed to have auch a teacher. You must keep writing. Looking forward to read more from you.👍

Popular posts from this blog

Staging Sagely

The unscathed frog metaphor

Rescuing the Romeo

Predestined "Free Will"