King of Blues

Greetings!

T'was a beautiful evening early in Fall season. 

It seemed like the blue sky's got smitten by the splash of colors on leaves. I was still new to this place. I was still in awe of diners with their coffee aromas. Tranquil trails, with sporadic boards that warned about a mysterious but cute sounding Lyme disease, were yet to be trodden. 

A friend of mine was driving me to a Jazz Cafe (for the very first time in my life). I had heard the magic of walking baseline and swing in Bollywood music before, but didn't know it was Jazz (yet). He asked me, have you ever heard Jazz. "..hmm... not sure..." was my answer. He smiled and just put in a cassette in his car's cassette player...   
 
A guitar started strumming through the speakers... my mind had caught on the rhythm and the feet tapping with the walking baseline. 

"...hmmm... the thrill is gone..." B.B. King's sonorous voice started wafting in and led me into the magical musical world of blues...

From that point on, I have enjoyed listening to so many Jazz musicians and Blues singers. It has been like an improvised call-response between the Jazz music and my own soul. But all through, B.B. King has remained the King of blues for me and for millions.

This King was born in a poor family on a Mississippi plantation. His mother left him at the age of four. His life was a life of full of hardships. A self taught guitarist, who heard the Mississippi Delta Blues while taking a break from the plantation work. He grew into a sensation in Memphis, Tennessee, and then never looked back. 

B.B. King's music is immortal and his personality magnanimous. Who won't love an awesome Jazz musician who was brave enough to jump back in fire to save his beloved guitar and fun loving enough to name his guitar as "Lucille", allegedly after the woman for whom the brawl started and led to fire! 

"When I sing, I play in my mind; the minute I stop singing orally, I start to sing by playing Lucille." - B.B. King

This King of Blues has really gone through trials and tribulations, has been touched by the soul of Jazz and touched the hearts of millions through his songs and music. 

Well, I'll say.. the King has really paid his Dues and completely deserves to sing his Blues ...



Sincerely Mine!
Anand Kulkarni


Comments

Anonymous said…
Unique blend of a narrative and introducing a spark.
Very well written. Would like to read about many more such sparks.
Thank you for encouraging words !

Popular posts from this blog

The envelope

Staging Sagely

The unscathed frog metaphor

Rescuing the Romeo

Predestined "Free Will"