Dealing in Devotion

Greetings!

My random playlist was on, while I was lost in the work.

Suddenly the song changed and a soothing octate of violins started wafting in. These lilting sounds caught my attention. Then in about half a minute, on the cue of clicketting sticks, piano and guitar took over from the meliflous violins. The music felt as if, it was tugging at something inside me, that wanted to voice itself but somehow remained unspeaking.

And then a man started singing ... "करे मन भजण नूं बेपार ..." Loosely translated from Gujarathi as "The mind has started dealing in devotion"!

The words were not from my native language so I was trying to decipher them. But the passion with which they have been written and the emotion with which they have been sung by a voice and the divine way in which all instruments join in - felt absolutely amazing.

I was being dealt with something outside of this world - yet through the music, the voice and words that are very much from this world...

The song continued and the words melted into the same eight violin ensemble that claimed the space of my mind in first place. But now with more nuance and more longing than the first wave and more meaning in every note...

And then I heard it...

I heard the instrument that sounded like it was being played in my heart, it was the "Sarangi".

It simply moved everything in my heart and brought out what remained unspoken in my heart. The unspoken one in my heart had found a voice. The words, the music had stirred this unseen corner in my heart but the "Sarangi" just made it come out gushing like a fountain of sparkling fresh water from the depths of a parched desert..

With tears welling in eyes, heart giving in to the song, I heard, saw and sensed with all my being that my heart too had started "Dealing in Devotion"

Oh, How I wish that this fountain doesn’t dry up like lost ancient rivers!

And so, whenever I feel weary about dealing with the dry scorching sands of ruthlessness of this world - I simply tune in the other world through devotion.

And this song composed by Salim-Suleiman, having the words of 'Dula Bhaya Kag', and the music by a gifted lot of musicians, the Sarangi by Dilshad Khan - especially the solo pieces of this heart-wrenching Sarangi, make me discover the same fountain of devotion in my own heart.

Again, and again and again!

Sincerely Mine!
Anand Kulkarni

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The envelope

Staging Sagely

The unscathed frog metaphor

Rescuing the Romeo

Predestined "Free Will"